Changpeng CZ Zhao, CEO of Binance, said the exchange had managed to recover about $5.8 million from the Axie Infinity hack. CZ also noted that the North Korean group behind the hack was moving around parts of its loot on Friday.
Some chunks of the stolen tokens made it to the Binance crypto trading platform, spread out over 86 different accounts. CZ added that this is not the first time that the exchange has recovered stolen funds.
Lazarus looted over $600 Mln in Crypto
Last month, Ronin Network, a side chain of Axie Infinity was exploited by some hackers to steal over $600 million worth of cryptocurrencies. U.S security officials linked this hack to Lazarus, an infamous North Korean hacking group.
The Ronin hack is considered to be the biggest heist in the crypto industry.
Lazarus has reportedly looted around $2 billion worth of cryptocurrency since 2017. As per reports, the group used to attack centralised exchanges from the Asian region. But with the advent of DeFi, the group has turned its sights elsewhere.
In a blog, Ronin said that the FBI is investigating the matter and US Treasury Department has sanctioned the funds. The hacker’s wallet address received around 173,600 Ethereum (ETH) and over 25 million USDC tokens in the historic breach.
Lazarus cashed-in over 28K ETH
As per reports, Attacks have been moving ETH using multiple wallets into Tornado Cash. The platform provides privacy of transactions which has helped the hackers to hide their addresses while withdrawing the looted funds. Earlier, Hackers moved more than 1,400 and 600 Ethereum tokens. The 1,400 ETH (approx $4.2 million) were transferred to Tornado Cash in 14 different transactions. Meanwhile, 2000 Ethereum (Approx $6 million) were moved three weeks ago. However, hackers have cashed out 28,164 ETH (worth approx $84.5 million) from the wallet.
The Sky Mavis Blockchain took the initiative to raise $150 million to repay some portion of the losses. The organisation has joined hands with Binance, Animoca, a16z, and other venture capital firms. Sky Mavis is now working on building its security, in order to avoid such attacks in the future.
- Is Do Kwon’s Terra Recovery Plan Part Of A “Kill Switch” Protocol?
- This Top-50 Crypto Jumped 28% This Week Despite A Market Crash
- Goldman Sachs: Crypto Drawdown Will Have Little Impact on U.S. Economy
- Just-In: Ethereum Merge Most Likely In August, Says Vitalik Buterin
- Beware, Bitcoin Jumping Back Above $30,000 Could Be A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s why
- Terra Ecosystem Announces Some Key Amendments to Its Revival Plan
- Breaking: Stablecoin Tether ($USDT) Reveals Reserves Fully Backed In New Report
- LUNA Crash: Blockchain Firm Losses $3.5 Billion As Terra (LUNA) Crumbles
- SWIFT Plans To Interlink All CBDCs, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Ripple (XRP) Throws In $100 Million To Cut Down Carbon Emission
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Strikes $30000; Breakout Or Fakeout?
- TRX Price Analysis – Another Bullish Attempt For $0.075 Breakout
- KuCoin Price Analysis: Low Volume Rally Hints Pullback Opportunity in KCS
- Polkadot Price Analysis: Bull Trap May Drag DOT Price To $7.3 Mark
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000