Social media giant Instagram will begin testing support for NFTs this week, its owner Meta Platforms confirmed on Monday.
The news was covered in several reports over the weekend. On Monday, Meta confirmed the news, adding that only a select group of creators will be initially allowed to share their collectibles on the platform.
The move comes just a few months after reports said Meta, Instagram’s owner, was testing NFT support for the platform. Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri had last year also teased that the company was actively exploring the space.
The move could help launch a fresh wave of interest in non-fungible tokens. But it also comes on the heels of a nearly 30% drop in NFT volumes over the past week.
Instagram move could spur renewed interest in NFTs
The social media giant is planning to integrate NFTs from Ethereum, Polygon, Solana and Flow. Ethereum and Solana by far are the biggest blockchains for NFTs, with the former featuring some of the most valuable collections.
Instagram will also add support for crypto wallets, including MetaMask and TrustWallet.
The launch could see interest in NFTs skyrocket to 2021 highs, given that Instagram has over 1 billion users. NFTs in general are also far more palatable to non Web3 users, based on the popularity of sports and historical tokens.
NFTs also affected by crypto crash
But Instagram’s launch would also come at a time when interest in NFTs has drastically fallen. Data from NFT data aggregator NFT Go shows that daily volumes in the space have consistently fallen since late-April.
A large reason for this is because of ongoing weakness in the crypto market, which saw nearly $500 billion in market capitalization erased in recent weeks. Given that a bulk of trading happens through cryptocurrencies, this could be a possible reason.
But other factors may also indicate diminishing interest in NFTs. For instance, crypto exchange CoinBase’s recent launch of its NFT platform barely crossed 1000 users.
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long
- Avalanche Price Analysis: AVAX Sellers Tease $30 Fallout; Sell or Hold?