The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) is heading for the expiry of the six-month lock-up period for its shares by June end. JPMorgan analysts think that this can possibly create further downward pressure on the price of Bitcoin (BTC).
In a note on Wednesday, June 23, JPMorgan strategist Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou writes that the unlocking could possibly trigger further selling of GBTC shares by institutional players. The Bitcoin price is going through heightened volatility recently. After pulling back over $34,000 levels from Tuesday’s lows, Bitcoin (BTC) is once again under pressure today.
At press time, BTC is trading at a price of $32,990 with a market cap of $613 billion. JPMorgan continues to hold its bearish outlook for BTC. As quoted by Bloomberg, the JPMorgan strategists wrote:
“Despite this week’s correction we are reluctant to abandon our negative outlook for Bitcoin and crypto markets more generally. Despite some improvement, our signals remain overall bearish”.
The Strategists further noted that based on fair value estimates and comparing BTC volatility to Gold, BTC will oscillate in the range between $23,000 and $35,000. The strategists said: “It would still take price declines to the $25,000 level before longer-term momentum would signal capitulation”.
GBTC Discount Narrows Down
Interestingly, JPMorgan’s comments come just at a time when the GBTC discount has narrowed down considerably over the last week. The discounted price of the GBTC shares has pulled up 66% from last week, as reported by CoinGape.
However, the GBTC shares still trade at around a 5% discounted price in comparison to the net asset value. Many analysts hold an opposite opinion to that of JPMorgan. This is because the GBTC shares were trading at high premium six months backs.
The Premium for GBTC shares flipped to Discount earlier this year in March 2021. Analysts say that institutional players who purchased the share at a strong premium won’t be selling at the current discounted price. Thus, there would possibly be less selling pressure with the June-end expiry period.
- Breaking: Do Kwon Releases Another LUNA Revival Plan
- Just-In: Grayscale Adds Five New Tokens To Its Investment Products
- Another Stablecoin Follows LUNA $UST, Crashes Within Hours
- PlanB: Bitcoin (BTC) Is Creating A Bottom For The Next Bull Market
- Shiba Inu Holders Increase Amid Market Crash, But There’s A Catch
- LUNA Crash: South Korea Toughens Up Investigations Over Terra (LUNA) Crisis
- Avalanche (AVAX) Slumps 5% In Minutes On Fears Of Terra Dump
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Reserves Decimated By Terra Crash
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Member Says Terra Reserves En Route
- Just-In: El Salvador To Discuss Bitcoin Adoption With 44 Countries
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Retest Phase Warns $0.08 Fallout
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured below $0.50; Is Selling A Good Choice?