Hedge funds may find cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin appealing because of their high volatility but that doesn’t constitute a viable investment rationale.
This is what a Goldman Sachs official concluded during a client-facing call on May 27, 2020 effectively dismissing digital currencies as a worthwhile and emerging class that deserves to be considered.
Following their conclusion, Bitcoin prices soared above $9,000 as the total crypto market trading volumes rose $11 billion.
The Central Bank Money Minting
As reported by CoinGape, the crypto community was keen to see whether the investment bank would endorse Bitcoin considering the current monetary policies adopted by central banks as the effects of COVID-19 push economies to the edge.
To stimulate economic activities and shield companies from its adverse effects, central banks have announced aggressive—sometimes unlimited—quantitative easing programs where trillions would be re-injected to the global economy.
This can drastically affect inflation due to high money supply consequently draining the purchasing power of fiat currencies like the USD or the Euro.
Bitcoin and Crypto Don’t Cut It Says Goldman Sachs
Bitcoin, dubbed the digital version of gold, given its scarcity element can be an alternative to gold as a safe haven asset.
However, because it remains unregulated without a robust market, its price tend to heavily fluctuate. It is this high volatility Sharmin Mossavar-Rahmani, the chief investment officer for wealth management at Goldman Sachs, took an issue with before dismissing Bitcoin as an inappropriate asset class.
Some cryptocurrencies, the bank said, were securities dependent on someone else buying at a higher price, insinuating that digital assets have no utility and drive action conforms to a phenomenon called the Greater Fool theory.
Combined with the low cash flow, lack of correlation with other markets, and the absence of evidence to support Bitcoin as an hedge against inflation, were enough reasons to dump crypto.
“We believe that a security whose appreciation primarily depends on whether someone else is willing to pay a higher price for it is not a suitable investment for our clients.”
The Response From The Crypto Community
Still, the crypto community is confident of digital currencies and some were expecting Goldman Sachs to conclude as they did and thrash cryptocurrencies.
In their argument, they view cryptocurrencies as disruptive agents whose widespread adoption portends the demise of investment banks like Goldman Sachs.
Bitcoin adherents add that Goldman Sachs analysts failed to do their homework and seem to have dusted off some of their old talking points, literally hitting the replay button.
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- “This Irritates Me”- Elon Musk Slams Twitter’s Integration Of NFTs
- Crypto Mayhem Grips Markets, $230 Billion Decimated In Massive Red Friday Selloff
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams to Buy Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) Dips Today
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Sagging Values To Get A Boost With New Token Burn Mechanism?
- U.S. Fed Releases New Whitepaper for CBDC Digital Dollar, Kickstarts Debate
- Crypto Market Flash Crash: Bitcoin (BTC) Down 8%, Ethereum (ETH) And Altcoins Follow
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Meta and Instagram To Allow Users To Create, Display And Sell NFTs
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?