The crypto space is flooded with the debate about the industry’s ill effects on climate. Especially, as countries across the globe suffer from energy crisis during the bitter-cold winters, more people are pointing fingers at the crypto industry for being one of the biggest causes given its unsustainable nature. Following this wave, the nonprofit organisation supporting the Firefox web browser, Mozilla foundation announced temporary suspension of crypto donations.
Last week, we tweeted a reminder that Mozilla accepts cryptocurrency donations. This led to an important discussion about cryptocurrency’s environmental impact. We’re listening, and taking action. 1/4
— Mozilla (@mozilla) January 6, 2022
The foundation’s official Twitter handle noted that they will not be accepting crypto donations due to the ongoing discussions around the environmental impact of digital currencies. While Mozilla highlighted that the decentralized web technology continues to be an “important area” for the foundation to explore, but given that they started accepting crypto payments back in 2014, Mozilla agreed that “a lot has changed since” and it is high time to take relevant actions.
“starting today we are reviewing if and how our current policy on crypto donations fits with our climate goals. And as we conduct our review, we will pause the ability to donate cryptocurrency.”
Global Energy Crisis results in manifold actions against crypto operations
Countries like Kazakhstan, Iran, and the Republic of Kosovo have already become victims of a massive energy crisis and the governments are taking strict actions against crypto operations in their respective territories to prevent further deterioration of the situation.
Kazakhstan is currently trending on all news publications since the country broke out into several protests when the natural gas prices were hiked amid other issues like power outages. Furthermore, the global mining community has suggested the local cryptocurrency miners to “pay attention to their personal safety”. Following this, the President announced nationwide internet shutdown which further caused a 12% drop in the hashrate of the Bitcoin network.
Iran is another country that is seemingly facing an ongoing winter energy crisis, resulting in the imposition of a second crypto mining ban. Mostafa Rajabi Mashhadi, director of the public firm, Iran Grid Management Co. and a spokesman for Iran’s power industry noted that the ban will last until March 9, 2022. At last, the Republic of Kosovo also banned crypto mining as part of several relief measures to reverse the energy catastrophe.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?