Amid the current economic situation in the country, and coupled with the fact that Turkey’s fiat currency — the lira has not stopped depreciating in recent weeks, a vast majority of Turks have now found a safe haven in cryptocurrencies (especially Bitcoin and Tether).
Turkey Chooses Crypto Over Lira
As is common with most developing parts of the world where government economic policies are not exactly trusted by its people, cryptocurrencies are usually embraced. Now, that is exactly the present case with Turkey.
According to a Wednesday report by Wall Street Journal, the Turkish lira cannot just stop plunging, leaving Turks a tough decision to make. But as it turns out, the decision is not so hard after all.
Also considering the fact that cryptocurrencies might be even riskier kinds of assets, one wonders how Turks have been able to continue ditching the local currency, even as they continue to focus more on crypto.
According to blockchain analytics firm Chainalysis, crypto has grown quite popular in Turkey with crypto trading volumes using the local currency, surging to an average of $1.8 billion per day across only three exchanges.
Meanwhile, the lira which has continued to plunge unstoppably is presently showing no signs of recovery either.
In what has been classified as its worst performance in nearly 20 years, the lira reportedly shed no less than 44% of its value in 2021 alone.
Interestingly, many economists and experts are of the opinion that Turkey’s surging inflation might be responsible for the lira’s plight. Recall that inflation hit 36% just last month, and economists have also predicted that it could go even higher.
Of course, should inflation go higher, that invariably means more pressure on the already battered local currency.
Meanwhile, the price of the lira currently stands at 13.28 against 1 dollar at the time of writing.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?