As President Donald Trump announced he was doubling metals tariffs, the Turkish Lira (TRY) slumped weakening the value of currency the Turkish held, thus deepening the crises in the country. To find shelter amidst this downpour, the Turkish citizens started buying bitcoins dumping the Turkish fiat Lira.
Turkish economic crises worsen as Erdogan policy fails, Lira nosdives
Trading volume on Turkey’s cryptocurrency exchanges surged Friday as the country’s fiat currency plunged to record lows on political and economic jitters. The Turkish lira plunged by more than 20% against the dollar after the president announced the move, amid a widening dispute between Washington and Ankara over the imprisonment of the US pastor Andrew Brunson. The Turkish lira hit an all-time low against the dollar, reflecting global market worries about President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s economic policies and his instigating political disagreements with countries that were major trade partners and major sources of investment inflows especially the USA.
I have just authorized a doubling of Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum with respect to Turkey as their currency, the Turkish Lira, slides rapidly downward against our very strong Dollar! Aluminum will now be 20% and Steel 50%. Our relations with Turkey are not good at this time!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 10, 2018
Terming the relations with Turkey are not good at this time, the President revealed an increase in US taxes on Turkish steel imports to 50% and on aluminum to 20%. The lira has been under sustained pressure on foreign exchanges, dropping by almost 50% against the dollar in the past 12 months and hitting a succession of record lows this week. Inflation reached an annual rate of 15.9% in July – more than five times the average rate for wealthy nations – and government borrowing in foreign currencies has risen dangerously high.
Even before Trump’s tweet, the lira had plunged 14% as investors rushed for the exits from Lira to safe havens such as the USD, JPY and other assets including the Bitcoin.
Ranko Berich, the head of market analysis at Monex Europe, was quoted by the Guardian saying that the Turkish president’s combative speech had further damaged international trust in its currency.
“Erdoğan has reached for the crazy stick and given the lira another whack in a rambling speech that focused more on combative rhetoric than addressing market concerns,”
Bitcoins come to the rescue of the people in Turkey
Since the crises sparked and the Lira started plunging a lot of investors shifted their holding to Bitcoins and other cryptos especially the Bitcoin. Trading volume on Turkey’s cryptocurrency exchanges surged. According to CoinMarketCap, volume at Turkish exchanges Paribu and Btcturk have jumped
|Exchange name||Volume 24 hrs||Volume 7 day||Volume 30 day|
Although compared to the global volume the numbers are small, but the past 24 hrs volume is much higher than the average volume over past 7 days and further higher if the average of a 30-day volume is taken. The BTC Lira on a weekly chart is also upward moving currently trading at BTC/TRY trading at 38,587.0 up almost 4 % while reporting.
Erik Voorhees the CEO of Shapeshift tweeted saying,
“We’ve entered a time now where some fiats are far less stable than Bitcoin. Turkish lira plummeting ~20% in one day. https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=TRY&to=USD&view=1D … #BackedByGovernment #TRY #forex”
— Erik Voorhees (@ErikVoorhees) August 10, 2018
Ryan Radloff CEO of CoinShares, the digital asset management company also tweeted saying
— Ryan Radloff ⚡️ (@RyanRadloff) August 10, 2018
Large sums borrowed in foreign currencies make Turkey especially vulnerable to a falling domestic currency because it now it becomes more expensive to pay off its debts. As more and more countries move towards financial crises, the citizens there are embracing Bitcoins over Fiats which are slowly losing value. Although a large number of people now hold bitcoin worsening economic conditions are not a good sign for countries. First, it was Venezuela, Iran and Now Turkey
Is Bitcoin the solution for a country like Turkey whose Fiat is failing? Do let us know your views on the same.
- Microsoft’s Activision Acquisition Bullish for SHIB Community- Shiba Inu Spokesperson
- GBTC Share Price Tanks As the Bitcoin Fund Trades At Record Discount
- Terra Ecosystem Announces the LUNA Foundation Guard (LFG) to Boost Growth, LUNA Up 4%
- JPMorgan: High Gas Fee A Big Problem for Ethereum (ETH) Valuations, Can Lose Market Share
- Ethereum’s Futures Open Interest hit a 3-month low, what does this mean for the market?
- Professional Mining from Digital Mining Experts Is Now Available via GMT
- Just-In: Georgia Binds Its Residents in Holy Oath Against Bitcoin Mining
- Wager Based 3D PVE/PVP Arena Battler Engines of Fury Storms GameFi With Incredible Content
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Devs Begin to Fix Recent Issue of ‘Wormhole’ Addresses’; Here’s All You Need to Know
- BNY Mellon Sees Meaningful Revenue In Crypto by 2023 Post Clear Regulations
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?