Miami city mayor Francis X. Suarez is a well-known known Bitcoin proponent who has been working towards making Miami a crypto hub in the US. Somewhere in the first quarter of 2021, Suarez has said that the city is planning to pay government employees their payment in Bitcoin and also allow citizens to pay city taxes in $BTC. At the time many claimed the idea was far fetched as city treasury doesn’t fall under the direct control of the Mayor. However, Mayor Suarez recently revealed that the city will issue a request for proposal to make that possible later this month.
“I want us to differentiate ourselves as a crypto capital of the United States or of the world,”
In February this year, Suarez led Miami also introduced a proposal for the city to be able to invest in Bitcoin, but Florida statutes limitations don’t allow local governments to hold such volatile asset. Suarez explained,
“If we would’ve been able to hold it from the moment that I put the resolution on our agenda, it’d be up by 30 or 40 percent, so I would’ve looked like a genius back then,” he said. “But that’s the way it works.
Miami is Already Mining its Own Cryptocurrency
Current Florida Statures might have prevented Miami from directly investing in Bitcoin, but Suarez found a way around it as well with Miami Coin. Miami coin is the first native crypto asset of a city, it is based on Bitcoin and the funds generated from mining the token would be utilized towards the development of the city. Within two months of launch, Miami coin has already added $10 million to the city’s treasury.
Mayor Suarez in the past has also revealed plans to make Miami a clean Bitcoin mining hub as Florida is already leading the charge in terms of growing popularity of Bitcoin mining in the State.
- Institutional Traders Are Shorting Bitcoin At Record Pace, Here’s Why
- Lido Shut Down Terra Support, Starts bLUNA And stLUNA Withdrawal
- This Whale Adds 787 More Bitcoins As Price Struggles
- After Vauld Suspends Withdrawals, These Crypto Exchanges Could Be Next
- Cardano’s Vasil Upgrade Goes Live On Testnet; When Will It Be Lauching On Mainnet?
- How Stable Is Tether? Data Shows USDT At Massive Liquidity Imbalance
- As BTC Plummets to $19,000, Elon Musk’s Tesla Reports $440 Million Impairment Losses
- British Army Regains Control Of Their Hacked Social Media Accounts Promoting Crypto Scams
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Cardano price Analysis: ADA Price Nearing Triangle Breakout Eyes $0.655
- Polygon Price Analysis: $0.45 Fallout could Plummet MATIC price by 25%
- ETH Price Analysis: Can $1000 Support Undermine Selling Momentum?
- BTC Price Analysis: Technical Indicator hints Upcoming recovery for Bitcoin
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?