Bitcoin is losing its “first-mover competitive advantage” to the over 16,000 other altcoins in the cryptocurrency market according to the CEO of Euro Pacific Capital, Peter Schiff, a known Bitcoin skeptic.
In a tweet, the gold investor pointed to Bitcoin’s declining market dominance to support his claim, adding that as even more cryptocurrencies flood the market, as they were very easily created, Bitcoin’s first-mover advantage will reduce.
With over 16,000 alternative cryptos to choose from, Bitcoin’s market dominance is now below 40% for the first time since June of 2018. With an unlimited supply of easily created cryptos with virtually identical properties, Bitcoin is losing its first-mover competitive advantage, Schiff said.
Are there truly alternatives to Bitcoin?
Indeed, Bitcoin’s market dominance has fallen considerably this year. The market cap of Bitcoin which used to account for over 70% of the value of the entire crypto market earlier in the year has fallen to around 40%. The reduction has been due to the overall growth of the crypto market, Bitcoin inclusive.
In the past year, the market capitalization of Bitcoin has grown 95.08% from $492.51 billion to currently be around $960.78 billion after having stood above the $1 trillion mark for a while. Similarly, the market capitalization of altcoins has been on the rise, with a lot of them including Ethereum (ETH), Solana (SOL), and the memecoin Shiba Inu (SHIB) outperforming Bitcoin.
However, market proponents are arguing that these altcoins, regardless of their growth, are not competitors to Bitcoin or even alternatives to it as Bitcoin is the only cryptocurrency that is considered to be a store of value or digital gold as it is often called. According to Schiff’s son, Spencer Schiff who is a Bitcoin proponent, even proponents of altcoins acknowledge that they are not in competition with Bitcoin for its position at the top of the crypto market as Bitcoin was in a category of its own.
Some proponents are even considering the reduced market dominance of Bitcoin to be a bullish signal. According to Vijay Boyapati, the author of The Bullish Case for Bitcoin, the last time Bitcoin’s crypto market dominance reached 40% which was in June 2018, it was a great opportunity to buy the benchmark cryptocurrency. Therefore, he considers Schiff’s pointing out the Bitcoin dominance metric to be a signal that the market has reached the bottom.
Bitcoin continues to outperform Gold
The economist and strategist, Schiff, has had a well-pronounced disregard for Bitcoin and a strong one regard for gold. Schiff has been a critic of Bitcoin and every move the cryptocurrency makes. Recently, he called for the dissolution of the SEC because the commission in approving a Bitcoin futures ETF was invariably giving a government endorsement of Bitcoin. He has also criticized El Salvador’s president Nayib Bukele, calling his decision to adopt Bitcoin as legal tender in the central American country irresponsible and a waste of taxpayers’ money.
Meanwhile, gold, which is a strong proponent of gold, has been struggling and has been outperformed by Bitcoin. Year to date, the return on investment on gold is down 3.71% compared to Bitcoin’s 77.64% increase. Market analysts and observers are optimistic that Bitcoin is poised to perform even better come 2022.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?