As the race to list Australia’s first crypto NFT heats up, pro-crypto Senator Andrew Bragg asked regulators to first approve applications from local investment managers.
In a letter to the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), Bragg said that while he isn’t specifically against foreign competition, he favors the first crypto ETF to list in the country to be from a local source. A locally-sourced ETF was supposed to list last week, but hit a delay at the 11th hour.
Amid the delay, Canada-based 3iQ Digital Asset Management also filed applications for listing the 3iQ CoinShares Bitcoin Feeder ETF and 3iQ CoinShares Ether Feeder ETF on CBOE Australia.
Senator Andrew Bragg urges regulators to prioritize local ETFs
Australian Senator Andrew Bragg, who chaired the parliamentary inquiry to regulate crypto assets, urges the ASIC in a letter to prevent foreign firms to take benefit of the hold-up of local crypto ETFs, reported the Australian Financial Review on May 4.
Senator Andrew Bragg, in a letter to ASIC chairman Joseph Longo, wrote:
“It would be a very regrettable outcome if foreign exchange-traded funds with direct exposure to cryptocurrency were widely available before domestic products.”
Moreover, Senator Bragg explained that he is not against foreign competition in Australia. However, he is concerned about the dominance of foreign products over Australian products.
Crypto Economy Grows in Australia
Crypto adoption in Australia continues to grow as institutional and retail investors pour funds into crypto assets. Besides, many surveys have revealed the massive adoption rate in Australia.
Senator Andrew Bragg aims to make Australia a global financial and technology center, including a thriving market for digital assets. Moreover, an EY report had projected the crypto economy in Australia to grow from $2.1 billion to $68.4 billion by 2030.
“My strong view is that there are benefits to Australia and its people from adopting digital assets … But I do not want our regulator or quasi-monopoly market operator to undercut national policy.”
- Whales Eye Litecoin Ahead Of Major Update, Here’s Why
- Just-In: Robinhood Now Supports Web3 Wallets And NFTs
- U.S. Is Winning Bitcoin Mining Race But China Still Not Out Of Picture: Report
- Stablecoin Meltdown: This Token Loses $7 Billion Within A Week
- Just-In: Polygon (MATIC) Releases Nightfall Mainnet Beta; Here’s Why It’s A Big Deal
- Ripple (XRP) Price Jumps Over 4%, Here’s Why
- Coinbase Cuts Down Hiring After Q1 Losses Hit $420 Million
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Price Soars 6% In A Day, Here’s Why
- KuCoin Lists $UST Crisis Born Stablecoin $USDD; Details
- WOO Network Halts Terra’s LUNA Trading Just Hours After Relisting It
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?