As reported by Reuters on Monday, and just like many other economies of the world are currently doing, Israel may have also started advancing its plans regarding its own Central Bank-issued Digital Currency (CBDC) too.
Israel Committed To Advanced Technological Knowledge — Amir Yaron
According to the reports, the Governor of the Bank of Israel (BOI), Amir Yaron stated on Monday that at the moment, the BOI is yet to arrive at a decision regarding the issuance of the digital shekels. However, the bank remains focused and devoted to technological advancement and economic development.
Israel has been expressing its interest in CBDC since early 2021. In fact, back in May, the country revealed that it had started considering the Ethereum blockchain for its own CBDC, and was sure that the digital shekels would go a long way in improving the country’s economy.
Today Yaron also shared his beliefs that the usually cumbersome payment system can be streamlined and made even more efficient through the CBDC.
What Is CBDC All About?
A CBDC is just an electronic form or say, a digital version of central bank paper currency (like the Israeli shekel or the British pound). Now, even though some CBDCs are backed by blockchain technology — the same technology behind cryptocurrencies like Ethereum, they are not the same.
CBDCs are usually categorized into two main types: the retail and interbank. While the retail CBDC can be in the direct possession of any citizen as a digital form of cash to complement one’s paper money, the interbank CBDC can only be used by institutions for interbank payments other transactions between them.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?