Jesse Powell, the CEO of crypto exchange Kraken recently criticized Canada’s emergency act aimed at ending the truckers’ protest. The Ontario Securities Commission recently announced the seizure of crypto wallets after truckers started receiving funds in Bitcoin after the GoFundMe episode.
The Kraken CEO has been outrightly vocal against these measures by the Canadian government and believes that the authorities have gone too far in the trucker vaccine mandate. To support the truckers, Jesse Powell also donated an entire Bitcoin earlier this month on February 6. In his recent interview with Forbes, Powell added:
“I’m personally against the mandates. I think they’re just immoral. I also think there’s, at this point, a lot of evidence to suggest that we’ve been lied to or information has been withheld. And I think its efficacy is dubious at best.”
Powell – Canada Weaponizing Financial System
The Kraken CEO is often known for not mincing his words and being to the point! Lashing out at the Canadian government in harsh words, Powell said that the “traditional financial system has essentially been weaponized” and “crowdfunding platforms are regulated like terrorist financing platforms”.
While speaking in his personal capacity, Powell said that his customers can take off assets from his exchange if they fear that the Canadian government would seize them. He further added:
“It is a sad day for our neighbors in the north. Emergency powers meant to protect the nation’s sovereignty in war have been turned inward, against ordinary citizens selling coffee to protestors against forced medical procedures. The Canadian government now has the authority to confiscate – without warning, without due process – all your financial accounts, simply for being suspected to have supported the protests, in any way, by any stretch of their imagination.”
Powell added that all this happening in a relatively free country like Canada is even more troublesome. Apart from Jesse Powell, Coinbase CEO also lashed out at the Canadian government stating: “Concerning to see stuff like this happening in any country, especially such an economically free place like Canada. Self-custodial wallets are important!”
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5