After the crypto exchange, Bitmart fell prey to one of the biggest hacks in crypto’s recent history, amounting to $196 million in investors’ funds, the exchange has also experienced a wave of support from the entire crypto community. Earlier today, the official Twitter account of the trending meme token, Shiba Inu mentioned Bitmart’s hack in one of its tweets, extending their support to the exchange platform.
Bitmart lost nearly 900 billion Shiba Inu tokens, as well as other meme coins, like Floki, Moonshot, BabyDoge also vanished from the exchange’s hot wallets. Additionally, several altcoins such as Safe Moon, Binance Coin (BNB), BSC-USD and BNBBPay (BPay) were also stolen.
Even though the core of our project is decentralization, we want to show our support and give some love to our friends at @BitMartExchange, who are already working hard to fix the security incident that happened yesterday. pic.twitter.com/CJZjQHaP59
— Shib (@Shibtoken) December 5, 2021
Along with the SHIB army, the crypto exchange giant, Huobi also offered help to Bitmart’s exchange platform, post the hack. Yesterday, Huobi exchange tweeted from its official handle that they would like to provide assistance in managing inflows of related assets by reporting and helping with any foreseeable issues, as soon as possible.
Huobi will do our best to assist #BitMart in handling this issue. If there are any inflows of related assets, we will report and assist in a timely manner.
— Huobi (@HuobiGlobal) December 5, 2021
Here’s What Happened in the Bitmart Hack
Bitmart was hacked over the weekend, and in the blockchain security and data analytics firm, Peckshield’s words, it was a classic case of “transfer-out, swap, and wash”. The hack took place on Ethereum and the over-exploited, Binance Smart Chain (BSC). Nearly $100 million, along with another $96 million was transferred from hot wallets hosted on Ethereum and the Binance Smart Chain (BSC), respectively. Post the transfer, the exploiters allegedly utilised the decentralized exchange aggregator, ‘1inch’ to exchange the stolen funds for Ether (ETH), and then deposited them to a privacy mixer Tornado Cash. Furthermore, in lieu of the hack, Bitmart has temporarily suspended withdrawals as well.
“We have identified a large-scale security breach related to one of our ETH hot wallets and one of our BSC hot wallets today. At this moment we are still concluding the possible methods used. Hackers were able to withdraw assets of the value of approximately 150 million USD.”, noted the crypto exchange platform.
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- Crypto News: Thailand To Regulate Cryptocurrencies As Means of Payment
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might Be Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?