Lido Staked Ethereum (stETH), a key factor in the ongoing crypto crash, widened its rift with Ethereum and fell below $1,000 on Wednesday.
stETH dropped to as low as $959.77, before recovering to a little above $1,000 in a broader crypto market recovery. The move also appeared to have liquidated some Ethereum positions, with about $51 million liquidations happening in the past four hours.
Collateralization of stETH by beleaguered lender Celsius and hedge fund Three Arrows Capital has been a key reason behind the token’s role in the ongoing crypto crash.
A drop in stETH’s value caused positions held by Celsius and Three Arrows to be liquidated, forcing the two to dump their holdings on the open market.
stETH de-pegging still a threat
While the token has now recovered to back above $1000, any further losses in stETH still present a threat to crypto markets. Its use as collateral in borrowing ETH is the main source of uncertainty.
While both Celsius and Three Arrows are taking measures to lower their liquidation levels, smaller holders on major DeFi platforms are bearing the brunt of liquidations.
Celsius appears to have added even more collateral for a $500 million position on Maker. At least for now, the lender appears to have reduced its potential for a liquidation.
Still, a Federal Reserve rate hike later on Thursday could potentially trigger more crypto losses.
Ethereum liquidations surge, but markets stabilize
Data from Coinglass shows about $51 million ETH positions were liquidated in the past four hours- nearly twice as those as Bitcoin. This came as ETH prices neared a key liquidation level for Three Arrows.
But the level- $1,014 was not breached, and ETH recovered slightly after the dip. Traders are now watching for a more sustained uptrend.
While stETH has no direct correlation to ETH prices, its perceived de-pegging had caused panic selling of ETH in the past two days. A delay to the planned merge also rattled ETH traders.
- Pentagon Raises Damning Concerns Over Bitcoin, Ethereum Security
- Bitcoin Cash Sinks 7% As Its Biggest Advocate Is Accused Of Default
- Here’s Why Ethereum (ETH) Price Can Plunge More Ahead
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- Breaking: No VAT On Cryptocurrency Issuers In Russia, Details
- Just In: Robinhood Lists Chainlink (LINK); Price Up By 5%
- Just In: USDC Parent Inks Major Pact With New York Bank
- Here’s Why Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices Tumbled
- This Is Why Ethereum (ETH) Recovered Sharply From Below $1K
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077