The Anchor Protocol (ANC), a Terra-based program that is currently one of the highest-yielding stablecoin platforms, opened a vote that could lower its nearly 20% annual returns. The community proposed a dynamic yield rate to help maintain the protocol’s reserves.
- Early voting results are mixed
- Terra founder expects yields to turn dynamic
- Second vote on Anchor yields this month.
The vote, which opened late on Friday, seeks to set up a semi-dynamic yield rate based on fluctuations in the protocol’s reserves. ANC offers a near 20% return on deposits of TerraUSD (UST). While yields are usually funded through interest payments from UST borrowers, the extremely high ratio of depositors to lenders has caused the protocol to fund yield payments from its reserves.
2/ Much discussion over the past several months in the Anchor community has revolved around the long-term sustainability of the protocol. A monsoon of deposits attracted by the fixed, high-yield for $UST on the earn side has outpaced collateral inflows, depleting the reserve.
— Anchor Protocol (@anchor_protocol) March 18, 2022
Deposits are nearly four times as much as borrowings on the platform. Compared to total deposits of over 10 billion UST ($10 billion), the yield reserve is about 417 million UST.
Given the high amount deposits, it is likely that the proposal, if approved, will bring down the yield.
Currently, about 2% of total ANC holders have voted, with a slightly higher number of voters being against the proposal. The vote will be open till March 23, and will require participation by at least 10% of total ANC holders to be considered.
Terra founder expects ANC yields to turn dynamic
Today’s vote marks the second time this month that the community has voted on reducing yields. The first time was on a proposal by Polychain Capital and Arca Prop, which had sought to trim rates by up to 50% based on the size of UST deposits. The proposal was overwhelmingly rejected by ANC holders.
Sentiment towards the current vote appears to be a lot more mixed. Terra founder Do Kown (@stablekwon) has said that the ANC rate will likely adjust to something more dynamic, albeit at “lunatic” terms.
ANC has among the highest yields in DeFi
The protocol has seen a large influx in depositors due to its 20% annual return rate- currently among the highest yields offered by a stablecoin. In comparison, yields on top stablecoins including Tether, USD Coin and Binance USD go up to 12%.
This increased demand has supported the price of ANC’s governance token, as well as Terra’s native token LUNA, which can be used to stake on the protocol. Both tokens are up about
The recent influx of deposits had also spurred moves by the Terra community to bolster ANC’s reserves, including a $1 billion capital raise, as well as LUNA burning.
- Uniswap ($UNI) Surges 45% As Trading Fees Surpass Ethereum
- Ethereum Merge Delay? Developers Concerned Over Shadow Fork
- MINA Price Jumps By 20% Over This Announcement
- Bitcoin Mining Data Suggests More Price Dumps Ahead; Details
- This Bitcoin Bear Market Is Unlike Any Other, Here’s Why
- Here’s Why Shiba Inu Ecosystem Tokens’ Prices Are Shooting Up
- Goldman Sachs Likely to Raise $2 Billion To Acquire Celsius Assets, But Here’s the Catch
- Here’s Why SEC Chair Wants Single Rulebook For All Crypto Trading
- Huge Cardano Breakout Imminent After This Resistance Level?
- Shibarium To Launch Soon; How It Can Pump Shiba Inu Prices?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3
- Solana Price Analysis: SOL Price Rallying North With Eyes On $59
- XRP Price Analysis: Trendline Reversal Could Dump XRP Back to $0.3
- AXS Price Analysis: Rising AXS Price Aims To Reclaim $17.6 Mark
- Polygon Price Analysis: Can Trendline Breakout Lead MATIC to $0.75?
- ArbiSmart Price Analysis: RBIS Retests Multi-month Support; Buy this Dip?
- Waves Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern Threatens to Break $4.16 Support
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Trendline Fakeout Could Tumble APE by 25%
- Uniswap Price Analysis: Can Ongoing Recovery Carry UNI Price to $8?
- SHIB Price Analysis: $0.00001 Breakout Could Pump SHIB by 33%