The crash of Terra’s UST has sparked serious debate over the future of the stablecoin space, while severely denting crypto market sentiment. UST de-pegged from the dollar earlier this week, and has since struggled to regain its 1:1 peg. Corrective measures from founder Do Kwon and the Luna Foundation Guard have done little to remedy its losses.
Tether (USDT), the world’s largest stablecoin, also appears to be under selling pressure, and is trading more than 4% below its $1 peg. This weakness has stirred up speculation that governments could use this as an example in issuing tighter regulations on the cryptocurrency industry.
Will the government ban stablecoins?
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) could impose more restrictions on stablecoin issuance in the wake of this recent crash. A common theme among governments calling for more crypto regulations is investor protection. With Terra wiping out billions of investor money in days, they may have a strong point.
Prominent crypto lawyer John Deaton said SEC Chair Gary Gensler, and Senator Elizabeth Warren- both vocal crypto skeptics- could use Terra’s crash as “Exhibit A” for the need for regulations.
Gensler recently criticized crypto exchanges for acting against their customers’ best interests, in an interview with Bloomberg. Gensler has also shot down multiple attempts at a spot crypto ETF citing concerns over investor holdings.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen also recently mentioned UST during a Senate Banking Committee hearing. Yellen called for better crypto regulation to prevent possible financial risks, such as Terra’s crash.
Stabelcoin Death A Boon For CBDCs?
Governments could use the current stablecoin rout to roll out their own Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs). Several countries, including the United States, are already working on developing their own digital tokens.
In March, the Bank of England said stablecoins in their current form posed a major financial risk. It had called for better regulation of the space, and possibly, even a government-backed alternative.
- French Luxury Brand Balenciaga To Accept Crypto Payments In U.S.
- PayPal May Soon Accept All Forms Of Crypto Reveals Vice-President
- Crypto Analyst Predicts What Will Kickstart Next Bitcoin Bull Run
- Heavy Outflows Force Investors to Seek Refuge In Multi-crypto Investment Products
- PlanB: When Will Bitcoin (BTC) Price Cross $500K?
- Case Study: P2E Gaming Projects Tackling The Barriers To Web3 Mass Adoption
- Just-In: Indian Central Bank Head Bashes Crypto After Latest Crash
- This Top Crypto Exchange Offers To Support Burning Terra (LUNA)
- The Boss Cat Rocket Club – Space Bound Cats Living On The Blockchain
- Terra Recovery Plan Mired With Technical Issues, Here’s Why
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long