Brazil’s second most populous city, Rio de Janeiro, is all set to buy Bitcoin with 1% of the city’s treasury reserves, said Eduardo Paes, the city’s mayor. Rio will be the first-ever Brazilian city to purchase crypto as a store of value if Eduardo proceeds with what he says.
— CryptoCurrency News (@CryptoBoomNews) January 14, 2022
Discount on tax payments with bitcoin
Besides buying Bitcoin with the city’s reserves, the mayor also talked about some tax reliefs for paying through Bitcoin. For those choosing to pay through Bitcoin, he mentioned offering a 10% discount on taxes, such as the urban building or land tax (IPTU).
IPTU, a federal and urban property tax, is collected by the municipalities in Brazil. It’s calculated on the deemed sales price of the property.
Employees to be paid in Bitcoin!
Before Eduardo Paes, the Brazilian congressman Luiz Goularte had proposed a bill in November 2021. The bill enabled public and private sector workers to be paid in bitcoin—the bill proposed that workers choose the percentage of their salary in bitcoin and fiat currency. The employer must agree to the proposed motion, the bill said.
Effects on the city of Rio de Janeiro
The 52-year-old member of Brazil’s Social Democratic Party presented his plans at Rio Innovation Week and the Mayor of Miami – Francis Suarez. The move could benefit the city as it could attract international crypto investors and, in particular, companies operating in the ecosystem of Bitcoin. He also mentioned making a working group to discuss the city’s crypto-related policies.
Suarez himself has been a keen supporter and promoter of Bitcoin in the past. He launched his city’s crypto, Bitcoin-based Miami Coin, whose profits were then distributed among the city’s residents. Eduardo plans on making Rio a crypto hub in the country following Suarez’s ideas and initiatives.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?