China’s underground Bitcoin mining hashrate contributes 22% to global mining hashrate as it increases by 3% in the three months leading to January, 2022 amidst government crackdown. Per data from a chart provided by Cambridge Bitcoin Electricity Data, mining hashrate seems to be on the increase in Mainland China despite the government crackdown on Bitcoin mining.
China contributed over half of global BTC hashrate in January, 2022
On the chart presented by the university, China’s hashrate reached 22% of global hashrate in January of this year, second only to the US which contributes 37.84% average monthly hashrate. Kazakhstan comes third with a hashrate of 13.22%.
China contributed to over half of global Bitcoin hashrate in January, 2021, standing firmly at a rate of 53% with the United States coming second at a contribution rate of 10.55%. China’s hashrate gradually and persistently decreased the following months following the country’s heated efforts at clamping down on BTC mining.
The Chinese government intensified its antagonism towards Bitcoin and Bitcoin mining mid last year as it stepped up its attempts at enforcing the ban on Bitcoin, forcing mainstream mining firms to cease operations in the region.
Bitcoin trading volume in China took a nosedive when the country’s capital and second most populous city Beijing officially placed a ban on the digital asset in 2017. The Chinese government has since then occasionally expressed its disapproval of the asset.
Chinese Bitcoin mining ban not proving effective
As part of efforts to enforce the ban, a committee led by the Vice Premier of China, Liu He revealed moves to clamp down on Bitcoin mining operations within the country mid last year – efforts that saw mining companies like BTC.TOP and Huobi Mall suspend operations to seek shelter abroad.
The heated efforts saw BTC tumble by 50% around that time as there arose some major FUD within the crypto space which saw investors capitulate their holdings in preparation for what might come next.
Despite the ban, mining operations have gradually picked up again in China, surpassing other countries besides the US, with miners resorting to underground activities in the bid to circumvent government legislation.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3