Yesterday Verge got hit with a 51% attack again that resulted in the mining of about 35 million XVG coins within 2 hours. In the last 24-hours Verge price have fallen about 14%.
XVG price takes a hit as Verge gets hacked
The privacy coin, Verge (XVG) has suffered yet another attack that is affecting the credibility of the cryptocurrency. Last month, a mystery hacker dominated the network and minted Verge coins while preventing other users from making any payments.
Now, once again, the Verge network is attacked that is revealed to be a DDOS attack:
“it appears some mining pools are under DDoS attack, and we are experiencing a delay in our blocks, we are working to resolve this”.
In the aftermath of this attack, XVG price fell down to $0.045. Currently, at 31 positions as per Coinmarketcap, Verge’s market cap is $685 million. XVG suffered a great fall in its prices in the last 24-hours.
Reportedly, the attacker has used a modified version of the vector which was used last month to trick the blockchain. The hacker used two algorithms to fork the main Verge chain earning million of XVG tokens and block rewards in the process.
Scrypt and lyra2re algorithms were set to the same extremely small amount of difficulty level. The hacker used them interchangeably and was able to manufacture 25 blocks per minute meaning 18.250 XVG or $950 per minute.
The 51 percent attack happened for the second time yesterday where the attacker was able to allocate false timestamps on Verge blocks. This resulted in the minting of 35 million XVG coins ahead of schedule on an extremely low difficulty.
A Reddit user stated:
“It seems the attack is over, 35.000.000 XVG were generated in a few hours. But this also means there is still no fix, and this is possible at any time again. Meanwhile, the only official info out there is ‘mining pools are DDoS’d’.”
Also, read: VeChain (VEN) Making News with New Listing & Advanced Developments
51% Attack again, is Verge secure?
The usual timestamp of verge network to accept the blocks is up to 2 hours away from the latest block time. During the attack, the hacker submitted blocks with a fake timestamp which was older by one hour. Due to the reason that mining adjustment algorithm takes into account only the recent blocks, the difficulty level fell down to extremely low levels i.e. to about 99.99%. This enabled the hacker to mine 35 millions of XVG coins within 2 hours.
Charlie Lee, the creator of Litecoin also took to Twitter to comment on the attack with:
Verge mining is being exploited again. Someone has 51% attacked and taken over the Verge network again. PornHub transactions are being reversed! ?
Using 5 mining algorithms actually made it much worse. This is a great blog explaining what’s happening: https://t.co/euf76UdDHN
— Charlie Lee [LTC⚡] (@SatoshiLite) May 22, 2018
But Verge community didn’t like this and reacted.
For now, the attack has been stopped and XVG difficulty has been recovered. Moreover, no complaints of transactions rolling back have been reported. Mining bounty was actually the target here that are worth approximately $1.6 million as per market rate.
As of yesterday, there hasn’t been any preventive measure in place. However, an update has been shared with this tweet by AkashiroNL, who is XVG core tech support.
Small update about the 51% attack today. Developer is working on a patch. But something more awsome to look forward to is we will have a complete new codebase soon!!#xvg #verge @Xvghodlgroup #Vergecurrency #wow pic.twitter.com/grEIiv1o1M
— AkashiroNL (@Akashiro_NL) May 22, 2018
Now, the question is, Is Verge really secure? Some think the multi-algorithm mining application might be the issue. The fact that a 51 percent attack could be initiated is the cause of worry that needs to be handled.
What do you think of this 51% attack? Share your thoughts with us!
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long