2021 has definitely been the year of mainstream crypto adoption as institutions finally realized that it is not a fad and going to become the alternate financial market. However, with the surge in interest and adoption, the number of security breaches and hacks also reached new highs. According to the latest report from Slowmist, crypto hackers managed to get their hands on a whopping $9.8 billion dollars stolen in various breaches and ransomware attacks.
The Slowmist yearly report also highlighted that the majority of the crypto hacks came from one particualr industry i.e decentralized finance (defi). Nearly 73% of all stolen money from the crypto hacks came from various defi protocols amounting to nearly $7 billion.
The yearly report noted a total of 231 incidents of hacks and security breaches in the crypto ecosystem, and out of these total 231 incidents, 171 were reported from various defi protocols. While the Defi ecosystem has grown to become one of the most prominent use cases of the crypto ecosystem, it is also one of the most exploited ones. There hasn’t been a single week over the past year when there wasn’t a security breach of any kind.
Can the crypto ecosystem improve security against hacks?
The Defi sector has definitely been the biggest security concern due to the anonymity factor, however, it is also important to note that, some of the biggest heists in crypto was ultimately returned due to the decentralized nature of the blockchain where it became near impossible for the hacker to launder money out of the systems. The prime example of this is the biggest Defi hack in the form of PolyNetwork where the hackers managed to get their hands on assets worth more than $600 million.
The protocol alerted all exchanges and stablecoin issuers about the hacking address which resulted in the blocking of any transactions from that account and later all the stablecoins were also frozen. As a result, the hacker was left with no other option but to return the money and get a white hack bounty instead.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?