After a steady drop in its price over the past few weeks, Tether continues to be at the center of the debate around stablecoins. Earlier this week, Tether market cap shrunk below the $70 billion level. As of writing, USDT’s total market capitalization stands at $69.14 billion, according to CoinMarketCap.
Tether’s decline began last month when Terra’s network collapsed, which had a larger market effect for a long time. The situation was exacerbated with the high volatility in the cryptocurrency market currently.
Massive Liquidation From Tether Market Cap
While USDT continues to be on continuous stress from market factors, the stablecoin witnessed an interesting situation on Friday. The token saw a massive $800 million vanishing from its market cap within a matter of seconds.
From maintaining a market cap of just around the $70 billion mark, Tether fell to $69.20 billion level within a short time. On Twitter, investor CryptoWhale described the development as “$800 million has magically vanished from USDT Market cap in seconds.”
When a worried follower wondered what would be the situation if the stablecoins betray, CryptoWhale warned of its possibility. He stated it is more like a question ‘when’ it would happen rather than ‘if’.
Crypto Holdings On Exchanges Unsafe
The crypto investor also predicted that all the big exchanges could halt everything on their platforms. He indicated that crypto holdings stored on the exchanges are at risk.
“Anyone holding crypto on exchanges will be screwed. Expect all of the big ones to halt everything.”
On Wednesday, speculation was rife that USDT was supported by low-rated debt. Rumors were that USDT’s backing included Chinese or Asian commercial papers. However, the firm dismissed these rumors stating they were “completely false.”
Tether explained that the commercial paper represent less than a quarter of the token’s support reserves. It added that 47% of its reserves are backed by the U.S. Treasuries.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26