Circle’s stablecoin USDC has overtaken Tether’s USDT for the first time in the number of daily transactions on Ethereum, Nansen.AI CEO Alex Svanevik highlighted on Twitter.
This news is the latest in a series of bad events for Tether. USDT still holds the lead in market value and daily trading volume. However, there is growing speculation that USDT might be losing its position as its number one status in stablecoins to USDC.
A Series Of Bad News For USDT
Just a couple of days ago, USDT lost its $1 pegging after the Celsius Network announced that it is freezing withdrawals. It had also lost its peg in May following Terra’s monumental collapse. Similarly, there have been growing fears that USDT may be on the same crash path as Terra’s UST.
Fox Business journalist Eleanor Terrett highlighted how a crypto industry source had moved all his stablecoins from USDT to USDC. She highlighted the fear in the industry over USDT losing its peg and the similarities to Terra. Just a couple of days ago, USDT fell below the $70 Bln mark in market cap and on June 18th, Tether’s CTO tweeted about a DDOS attack on Tether. There have also been allegations on Tether over Chinese Commercial Paper Holdings.
Meanwhile, USDC had gained over 1000% percent in market value in over a year. It currently holds a market value of about $55 billion and is providing stiff competition to USDT.
Tether Comes Out In Strong Defense
On June 16th, Tether condemned and refuted the rumors of commercial paper holdings. It highlighted the rumors as a tactic to cause panic in already stressed markets.
It also needs to be noted that while USDT lost out to USDC on Ethereum, it has more tokens on Tron compared to Ethereum. Today, Tether informed Euromoney that it is prepared to commit to a full audit of its reserves by a Top 12 firm to offer greater transparency. Tether would hope that these measures are sufficient to calm down the fears of a Terra-style downfall.
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?