U.S. crypto miner Compass Mining is looking to quickly divest its equipment in Siberia after the United States cracked down on its partner BitRiver over its Russian operations.
In an announcement on Discord, CEO Whit Gibbs said the firm is required to immediately cease all dealings with BitRiver, its Russian hosting partner. The firm will immediately wind down its Russian operations, and is looking to liquidate the hardware.
Compass wants quick exit from Russia
The firm said that it would seek to liquidate all of its equipment in Russia, and share the proceeds with clients who own the equipment. Gibbs told Bloomberg in an interview that the firm expects to recover most of the $30 million it has invested in the country.
Compass also appears to have scrubbed all instances of its Russian operations from its website. The firm said it will now focus chiefly on its North American operations.
While we have always advised that hosting outside of North America comes with additional risk, this is a terrible turn of events to put it mildly.
-Compass CEO Whit Gibbs
The move comes after the U.S. Treasury imposed sanctions against Swiss crypto miner BitRiver, one of Europe’s biggest hash rate providers. The Treasury, in its first ever crackdown against a mining firm, said the move was spurred by BitRiver’s numerous Russian entities.
U.S. officials also fear that Russia could use crypto to bypass recent sanctions, although experts opine it is highly unlikely.
Russia leans into crypto mining
Russia appears to be leaning further into crypto adoption and mining, in the face of dire economic prospects bought about by the sanctions. The country’s vast energy resources and cold climate make it an optimal environment to mine crypto.
Prior to the Ukraine conflict, Russia was poised to become the next big mining hub, after majors China and Kazakhstan banned the industry.
But it remains unclear how Russia will further its mining prospects, given that sanctions by the United States and its allies have effectively blocked key technology exports to the country.
- Just-In: Andreessen Horowitz Launches $4.5 Billion Crypto Fund Amid Market Crash
- Why Banning Crypto Mining Is Almost Impossible?
- Will S. Korean Exchanges Relist LUNA? Rumors Claim Terra Founder Reaching Out To Exchanges
- Breaking: Binance “Working Closely” With Terra On Recovery Plan
- Breaking: Terra 2.0 Plan Officially Approved, Testnet Goes Live
- Do Kwon’s Terra 2.0 Plan Rejected By S.Korean Crypto Exchanges
- Just-In: Avalanche Asks ApeCoin To Ditch Ethereum For Otherside Launch
- Tron (TRX) Overtakes Shiba Inu In Value On This Key Reason
- Voting On New Terra Chain To End Soon, Where Does The Tally Stand?
- Ethereum Gas Fee Drops To the Lowest Since July 2021, ETH In Accumulation Phase
- TRON Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout may Lead TRX to $0.9 Mark
- Tezos Price Analysis: Dynamic Trendline May Carry XTZ Price to $2.4
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?