An experimental national cryptocurrency has been developed by Iran only days after the central bank of the country banned bitcoin trading. The news came at a time when its national currency plunged at its lowest and the return of US economic sanctions is looming in the country.
Digital currency fever: After central bank ban, Iran develops own national cryptocurrency
It has been only last week that the central bank of Iran prohibited local banks and credit institutions from dealing in cryptocurrencies like bitcoin in the wake of rising concerns regarding money laundering. The country is going through a currency crisis as Rial dropped down to its lowest ahead of the possible return of sanctions from the US.
Now, just a few days after the ban on bitcoin trading, the country is developing its own cryptocurrency as Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi, the Information and Communications Minister was quoted by the local media source, IRNA as saying:
“The central bank’s (ban) does not mean the prohibition or restriction of the use of the digital currency in domestic development.”
According to Iran’s youngest minister, Azari-Jahromi, the experimental cryptocurrency is ready ahead of the oncoming US economic sanctions:
“Last week, at a joint meeting to review the progress of the (local cryptocurrency) project, it was announced that the experimental model was ready.”
In February, he mentioned in a tweet that the Post Bank of his ministry had been working with local experts to develop an experimental cryptocurrency model that would be further presented to the banks of the country for review and approval.
Is Iran planning to circumvent sanctions via own cryptocurrency?
Countries around the world have either introduced regulations on cryptocurrencies or planning to launch their own virtual currency.
Russia and China are already developing their native cryptocurrencies. In 2017, Russia announced the launch of CryptoRuble as a way to bypass the US economic sanctions. Following the same idea, Venezuela launched Petro and recently, Crimea also announced its plan of a local digital currency to evade the sanctions from foreign nations.
Iran is currently going through a currency crises as its national currency, Rial crashed down hard amidst the concerns of the possible return of harsh US economic sanctions if US exists the multilateral Nuclear deal.
Previously, Azari Jahromi has stated that the experimental cryptocurrency would be backed by assets. Furthermore, when asked if this is a way to circumvent US sanctions, he commented with:
“All cryptocurrencies are capable of circumventing sanctions because they are not under the supervision of the U.S. financial regulatory body, and the national digital currencies are naturally capable of this.”
On May 12, 2018, the US President Donald Trump will make the decision if the nuclear deal will be extended or not.
Do you think Iran is developing its own national cryptocurrency to evade the US economic sanctions just like Venezuela and Crimea? Let us know your views in the comment section below!
- Institutional Traders Are Shorting Bitcoin At Record Pace, Here’s Why
- Lido Shut Down Terra Support, Starts bLUNA And stLUNA Withdrawal
- This Whale Adds 787 More Bitcoins As Price Struggles
- After Vauld Suspends Withdrawals, These Crypto Exchanges Could Be Next
- Cardano’s Vasil Upgrade Goes Live On Testnet; When Will It Be Lauching On Mainnet?
- How Stable Is Tether? Data Shows USDT At Massive Liquidity Imbalance
- As BTC Plummets to $19,000, Elon Musk’s Tesla Reports $440 Million Impairment Losses
- British Army Regains Control Of Their Hacked Social Media Accounts Promoting Crypto Scams
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Cardano price Analysis: ADA Price Nearing Triangle Breakout Eyes $0.655
- Polygon Price Analysis: $0.45 Fallout could Plummet MATIC price by 25%
- ETH Price Analysis: Can $1000 Support Undermine Selling Momentum?
- BTC Price Analysis: Technical Indicator hints Upcoming recovery for Bitcoin
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?