Major crypto asset manager, Fidelity Investments Inc has acquired a 7.4% stake in publicly listed Bitcoin mining firm, Marathon Digital Holdings. The stake, according to Forbes is worth about $20 million and it was made through a number of Fidelity backed indexes including Fidelity Extended Market Index Fund (FSMAX), Fidelity Nasdaq Composite Index Fund (FNCFX), Fidelity Total Market Index Fund (FSKAX) and Fidelity Series Total Market Index Fund (FCFMX).
The latest stake acquisition showcases the diverse ways in which the pursuit of crypto investments is becoming central to institutional investors on Wall Street and around the world as a whole. Fidelity Investments is arguably one of the biggest asset managers with a combined $170 billion in Assets Under Management (AUM), and its new stake in Marathon per the Forbes report was funded by the indexes whose funds that are backed by retirement accounts.
The investment into Marathon Holdings will give the four Fidelity funds a due exposure to the shares of the Bitcoin miner, whose growth has largely trailed that of Bitcoin (BTC). While Bitcoin has grown by about 254% in the past year, Marathon shares have even outpaced the cryptocurrency, inking a massive 660% within the same time frame. With the latest investments, each of the Fidelity funds can gain an indirect exposure to the digital currency ecosystem, without having to invest directly in Bitcoin or altcoins respectively.
Great Time for Marathon to Soar
The clampdown on the Chinese crypto mining community in the past month has opened a new opportunity to scale for firms like Marathon Digital Holdings. There is a gap in Bitcoin mining that needs to be filled in order to return the BTC mining hashrate back to its previous highs. Amongst the many big players in the mining ecosystem, Marathon, through the backing it is getting is now at an advantage.
Besides Fidelity, other major institutional backers include Vanguard Group with approximately 7.58% stake in the firm, Susquehanna with 2.7% stake, and Blackrock with 1.59%. With enough operating capital, Marathon Digital may focus on its mining operations and HODLing its BTC holdings for incremental growth over time.
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Show Strength, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Singapore Financial Regulator Reprimands Three Arrows Capital
- Ethereum Exchange Supply Spikes, ETH At A Risk of Correcting to $700 And Below
- Bitcoin Prices Can Reach This Level By End Of 2022; Reveals Deutsche Bank
- NFT Marketplace OpenSea Flags Data Breach, Here’s What Was Leaked
- EU Passes A Bill to Trace the Flow of Bitcoin & Crypto Assets In Regulatory Tightening Measures
- North Korea’s Lazarus Group Behind $100 Million Horizon Hack, Harmony Initiates Global Manhunt
- “People Mocking Saylor Will Regret”- Binance CEO
- Grayscale Initiates A Lawsuit Against the U.S. SEC Over Spot Bitcoin ETF Issues
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support