The news in the town is that Russia is preparing for a draft law to legalize Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies this month.
BREAKING: #Bitcoin to be recognized as legal currency in Russia. 🇷🇺
— Watcher.Guru (@WatcherGuru) February 9, 2022
From its plans to ban digital assets to integrate crypto into its financial system, Russia has taken a 180-degree turn on its crypto policy. On Tuesday, February 8th, the Russian government and central government published a report noting that they will soon introduce a crypto regulatory draft by February 18th.
The Russian government is working on an arrangement wherein the distribution of digital assets will happen only through banking systems or licensed intermediaries. Any transactions conducted outside this legal sector will be a criminal offense. Also, there will be heavy fines for illegally accepting crypto as a means of payment.
Interesting one of the major goals of Russia’s crypto policy shall be integrating digital assets in the country’s own financial system. The government said that this will ensure the rights of ordinary private investors while preventing the use of digital assets in financial crime. With this, the Russian government also seeks to keep control over cash flows in the “circuit of credit institutions”. The announcement notes:
Protection of the rights of citizens, in addition to dividing investors into qualified and unqualified, will be ensured through licensing requirements for cryptocurrency platforms. Those, in turn, will be required to have financial airbags in terms of liquidity and capital adequacy.
Russia Eyes A $13 Billion Crypto Market
Previously, the central bank of Russia mulled for a complete ban on the use of digital assets. However, soon the Russian government agencies intervened citing some potential opportunities in this rapidly evolving market.
As per local news publication RT, Russia can collect a total of 1 trillion rubles or $13 billion by regulating and taxing digital assets. Besides, the authorities are looking at any potential opportunities in the crypto mining space. Russia is currently the world’s third-largest Bitcoin miner after the United States and Kazakhstan. It will be interesting to see Russia’s legal standing on crypto with more details coming ahead this month.
Ukraine Vs Russia: Is “Crypto” Key to Rising Tensions?
The decision of Russian Govt. to recognize crypto as a legal currency is surprising considering the threat it poses to its national currency Ruble. Is this announcement a reflection to high adoption of crypto in neighboring Ukraine?
Ukraine is actually one among the top crypto hubs across the globe with roughly $8 Billion worth of crypto transactions annually. As per Chainalysis, Ukraine ranks fourth in the Global crypto adoption index. This is not a surprise considering the low tax and accessibility to highly talented tech pool in Ukraine.
On the other hand, Russia is clearly missing this opportunity. While neighboring Ukraine is attracting foreign investments with its ease of crypto business, Russia is has just started taking crypto seriously.
Ruble (RUB) Loses More Than 7% Amid Crypto positivity
Russian national currency Ruble is down by more than 7% in last two weeks. Whether crypto is a threat to Ruble or not has been a topic of debate for months now. But, rising tensions with Ukraine which is already a Crypto hub combined with crypto legalization seems to be impacting investor confidence in Ruble (RUB).
As reported by CoinGape Markets analysts,
Investors are currently approaching the crucial 100-DMA at$74.65. The selling pressure would further be intensified if the mentioned level gets breached by the sellers.
Source: Coingape Markets
The complete outlook is bearish and the RUB value may further dip in coming days.
- Ethereum Exchange Supply Spikes, ETH At A Risk of Correcting to $700 And Below
- NFT Marketplace OpenSea Flags Data Breach, Here’s What Was Leaked
- EU Passes A Bill to Trace the Flow of Bitcoin & Crypto Assets In Regulatory Tightening Measures
- North Korea’s Lazarus Group Behind $100 Million Horizon Hack, Harmony Initiates Global Manhunt
- Grayscale Initiates A Lawsuit Against the U.S. SEC Over Spot Bitcoin ETF Issues
- Pentagon Raises Damning Concerns Over Bitcoin, Ethereum Security
- Bitcoin Cash Sinks 7% As Its Biggest Advocate Is Accused Of Default
- Here’s Why Ethereum (ETH) Price Can Plunge More Ahead
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?