Tech giant Twitter has embraced NFTs as it unveiled a new feature that allows users to set their non-fungible tokens (NFT) as their profile features and authenticate with a crypto wallet.
Twitter’s announcement comes as social media companies scramble to join the NFT bandwagon. Recently, Facebook and its sister company Instagram said they are launching a marketplace for NFTs and will let users display NFTs as part of their profiles.
For now, Twitter is introducing the feature to those users who are subscribed to Twitter Blue for $2.99 per month. Also, the feature, which is part of Twitter’s “Labs” feature, is only released for iOS users. While the profile can only be changed on the iOS app, the new picture can be shown on your Twitter account from any platform.
The rollout is limited as Twitter Blue subscription isn’t available globally but only in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Twitter’s latest NFT Profile Picture feature is powered by blockchain infrastructure provider QuickNode, whose NFT API lets users find any NFT and verify ownership without sorting through individual smart contracts.
Operating on the Solana blockchain, QuickNode offers low latency and high speed, as opposed to Ethereum which struggles with the high cost and slow processing.
“While demand for QuickNode’s platform as a provider of blockchain infrastructure continues to take off as more companies look to adopt blockchain as part of their product strategy, we’re excited to partner with platforms such as Twitter to deliver support for features like their recently launched NFT Profile Pictures,” the company said in a statement.
Going Deeper into Web3
Currently, the microblogging platform only supports static image NFTs based on the Ethereum blockchain. In an update, Twitter said that it was looking into adding support for SVGs as well but cannot provide it right now.
These NFTs will be displayed on Twitter in a special hexagonal shape that sets them apart from the standard circular display pictures on the platform. Tapping on the NFT will provide the details about the image and its ownership.
As the company ventures deeper into crypto, Twitter is hiring for the role of “Senior Product Manager, Crypto,” with a special focus on “creator monetization.” In this capacity, Twitter is looking at NFTs, DAOs, membership tokens, and more.
A dedicated crypto team was launched by Twitter in November, just weeks before the founder Jack Dorsey quit his CEO position to focus on Square (renamed Block).
Now, to set up an NFT as your Twitter profile picture, you have to be on Twitter’s iOS app and be a member of Twitter’s subscription service. To get started, connect your Twitter account with your crypto wallets that contain the NFTs you wish to use as your profile picture.
At launch, Twitter will support Coinbase Wallet, MetaMask, Ledger Live, Rainbow, Argent, and Trust Wallet.
Once your wallet is connected, Twitter will generate a verification request message to the wallet addresses, and you will be asked to complete a signing request with your Twitter handle.
“Signing requests should only come from a Twitter.com domain,” and the company “will never ask you to send funds when connecting your crypto wallet,” warned Twitter.
Users will then be able to select the NFTs in their crypto wallet to add on Twitter as their profile picture.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery