Bitcoin (BTC) saw its market dominance fall sharply over the past two days, as the latest crypto rally became more skewed towards altcoins. A mix of institutional buying and interest in staking appeared to have triggered the rally.
BTC market dominance stood at 40.9% on Saturday, retreating sharply from the 42% seen on Thursday. While the token is trading up 5% for the week, it has been vastly outpaced by smaller coins this week.
Still, BTC was the highlight of a crypto rally in March. Market sentiment was boosted as the world’s largest token jumped to its highest level since December, at $48,000.
Altcoins blaze past BTC
Ethereum (ETH), Solana (SOL), Terra (LUNA) and Avalance (AVAX) were standout performers over the past seven days, rising between 11% to 38%. While ETH gains were at the lower end of this range, its impending shift to a proof-of-stake (PoS) model was credited with raising interest in several other altcoins.
Increased institutional interest- a major factor in BTC’s 2021 rally, also appeared to be helping altcoins. Fund managers such as Coinshares and Grayscale recently included SOL, ARD and other altcoins in new products geared towards professional investors.
PoS token SOL led gains among its peers for the week, also crossing $40 billion in market capitalization and becoming the sixth-largest cryptocurrency.
LUNA jumped 25% to a record high of $112, as large BTC buying by its community, coupled with a steady burn rate supported the token. The LUNA community has been buying BTC to use as a reserve for its stablecoin, TerraUSD, as part of an aggressive push to make it the largest stablecoin.
Broad rallies tend to dent BTC dominance
The lowest BTC dominance has ever been is at about 37%, observed in 2017 during the initial launch of several altcoins. While the token’s dominance had since recovered sharply to over 70%, the massive rally in 2021 saw BTC weightage come back to around 42%, where it has hovered since.
The token’s dominance tends to fall whenever the market sees an extended rally, with the latest bull run showing similar results. Whether this trend will continue remains to be seen.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5