While Bitcoin (BTC) has remained volatile for most of September 2021, the developments taking place with the Bitcoin Lightning network are going strong.
As we know, the Bitcoin Lightning Network is a “layer 2” payments protocol designed atop the Bitcoin blockchain network. There’s an exponential growth in the Bitcoin Lightning Network capacity which has now surged past 2,9000 BTC, as per data on Glassnode.
This year of 2021, in particular, has been very strong considering the Bitcoin Lightning Network growth. Since the beginning of 2021, the Lightning Network capacity has surged by 160%, while the number of active nodes and the number of channels have grown nearly by 100%.
As of press time, the number of active nodes on the BTC Lightning Network is 15,697 while the number of active channels has shot past 73,000. On the other hand, some big companies like Twitter are looking forward to taking benefit of these developments.
Twitter Can Boost Lightning Network Use
Last week, Twitter announced the Bitcoin tipping feature making it one of the biggest BTC adoption news by a tech giant. Interestingly, Twitter will be leveraging the Bitcoin Lightning Network to facilitate payments and BTC tipping.
To facilitate its Bitcoin tipping feature, Twitter has partnered with payments application Strike built atop the Bitcoin Lightning Network. The Twitter announcement read:
“People can now seamlessly tip with Bitcoin using Strike – a payments application built on the Bitcoin Lightning Network that allows people to send and receive Bitcoin.
People in the eligible markets will have to sign up for a Strike account and add their Strike username to receive Bitcoin tips over the Lightning Network. You can use any Bitcoin Lightning wallet to send tips to someone’s Strike account”.
As Bitcoin adoption continues to increase, the Bitcoin Lightning network will play a crucial role in increasing the Bitcoin utility. The participation of such big players will further boost the adoption curve.
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?