El Salvador was the first nation that had decreed that Bitcoin was a legal currency. However, the move has not been very successful in the country, and things are turning to worse in 2022 with the value of BTC tanking. BTC saw an overall decline of 17.5% over a few weeks. The bitcoins held by the Salvadoran government would be worth $59 million.
If a recent calculation by Bloomberg is believed, El Salvador’s fling with BTC has resulted in more monetary losses than profits.
According to President Nayib Bukele’s Twitter posts, the nation holds approximately 1,391 bitcoins. At the current price of BTC, around $51,056 per BTC, the value of this entire holding would amount to about $71 million.
#Bitcoin is a volatile, speculative asset. Nayib Bukele is yet to realize this as he continues to throw El Salvadoran taxpayer money into the Bitcoin fire. Speaking of fire, El Salvador's dollar-denominated debt is in flames. pic.twitter.com/oOzftgFU5F
— Steve Hanke (@steve_hanke) January 13, 2022
Bitcoin values have tanked by 17.5 percent over the last few weeks
Given that in 2022, Bitcoin values have tanked by 17.5 percent over the previous few weeks, the present total value of the bitcoins held by the Salvadoran government would be worth $59 million.
In other words, the nation’s reserve of BTC has seen an erosion of values worth $12 million in public funds. However, these figures are on paper only if the nation has not sold or let go of any of its bitcoin, which also happens to be its legal tender and the world’s largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization.
Much of the above points are only speculative because there is very little transparency around bitcoin reserves, transactions, and policies.
Money Control quotes BlockBank’s head of operations, Nolvia Serrano saying, “So many things that are not being disclosed, like who’s holding the private keys to these Bitcoin, what is the criteria for saying, ‘Oh, today, we’re going to buy more Bitcoin, or we’re going to wait until next month, and more.”
El Salvador release $1 Billion Bitcoin bonds in any manner
However, the nation is not fazed by the setbacks and is all set to release $1 Billion Bitcoin bonds in any way. El Salvador finance Minister Alejandro Zelaya said that the government had prepared 20 bills to establish these bonds’ legal and financial framework.
El Salvador has rolled the red carpet for Bitcoin and has also asked BTC to mine in the nation using the abundant geothermal energy resources of the country. Of late, BTC mining faces a lot of flak because of high energy consumption and carbon emissions. The above offer, if accepted, will be mutually beneficial for both BTC and El Salvador.
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?