Lionel Messi, the legendary footballer, and six times Ballon d’Or winner made a historical club transfer from Barcelona FC to Paris Saint-Germain F.C after 26 years. The reported value of the two-year contract between Messi and PSG is $41 million annual salaries with bonuses, however, a recent insider scoop from a Bloomberg journalist suggests the football legend might receive crypto fan tokens or NFTs as part of his payment.
LIONEL MESSI'S PARIS ST GERMAIN FINANCIAL PACKAGE INCLUDES PAYMENT IN CRYPTO CURRENCY FAN TOKEN – SOURCE
— *Walter Bloomberg (@DeItaone) August 12, 2021
Messi’s transfer to PSG came as a big shock and heartbreak for Barca fans, especially after mentioning that he wanted to stay at the club. The transfer was nothing short of controversial as reports indicate the move was initiated after the club couldn’t agree to a contract renewal deal due to its debt.
The revelation about crypto fan token only strengthens the hype around NFT tokens. Non-Fungible tokens or NFTs were first launched in 2018 and until 2021 it was primarily used as fan tokens by premier sports clubs including PSG.
PSG Fan token is currently trading at $40.45 but might see a bullish burst in the wake of the news.
The price of the crypto fan token more than doubled in the wake of Messi’s signing and reached an ATH of $61.63 on August 10, a day after Messi’s move to PSG was confirmed. PSG is a utility token on the Chillz chain.
— Horcrux (@BlaugranaFC26) August 9, 2021
Will NFT Fan Tokens See Another Bullish Rally?
This bull run has seen a series of price rises among different classes of cryptocurrencies. First Bitcoin rose at the start of the year, then utility tokens, following which NFT tokens such as Chillz rose to their new ATHs and the cycle continued. As the crypto market recovers from the two-month-long bearish phase and both Bitcoin and altcoins start the second leg of this bull run.
The second leg could trigger a similar bullish price cycle again including for NFT fan tokens. Given the intensity of Messi’s transfer news, it could act as a potential trigger for a fan token rally.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Polygon Price Analysis: $0.45 Fallout could Plummet MATIC price by 25%
- ETH Price Analysis: Can $1000 Support Undermine Selling Momentum?
- BTC Price Analysis: Technical Indicator hints Upcoming recovery for Bitcoin
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?