Cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase reported a 35% drop in revenue in the first quarter as volatile market conditions and lower crypto asset prices directly impacted its results. Its total revenue in the quarter fell to $1.17 billion from $1.80 billion in the same quarter last year.
Trading volume and monthly users fell
Trading volumes in the first quarter fell to $309 billion from $547 in the last quarter, the company announced on Tuesday. The monthly transacting users in the three months were 9.2 million as against 11.4 million in the last quarter, a decrease of 2.2 million or 19%.
“In the first quarter of 2022, we grew the number of institutional customers compared to the last quarter,” the cryptocurrency exchange said in its earnings report. However, institutional trading volume was $235 billion, a decrease of 37% compared to the last quarter.
Exploring Opportunities Beyond Trading
“We believe these market conditions are not permanent and we remain focused on the long-term,” Coinbase said, adding that its focus will be on the next generation of crypto opportunities beyond trading.
The first quarter saw the launch of Coinbase Pay, which allows any crypto wallet or Dapp to connect to fiat rails, for both Coinbase Wallet chrome extension and Coinbase NFT, in a move to reduce the complexity of transacting in Web 3.0.
Build Future Of Crypto
“We plan to invest significantly, yet prudently, throughout this year to continue building the future of crypto. While we are navigating uncertain and volatile markets, we have a decade of experience to draw from and will continue to invest wisely to drive long-term growth,” it said, indicating its outlook for the year.
The drop in revenues resulted in Coinbase’s shares plummeting to 63.83, a drop of −9.16% in after hours trading. Earlier, the shares closed trading at around $72.
- Hard Fork Vs Genesis Chain: Terra Team Clears Air Around Debate
- Prominent Investment Officer Predicts More Downside For Bitcoin Price, Here’s Why
- Investors Move $141 Million Out Of Crypto: CoinShares Report
- Just In: S. Korea Police Seek To Guard LUNA Assets
- Incoming Shiba Inu Rally? Over 22 Billion SHIB Tokens Burned Across 497 Transactions
- French Luxury Brand Balenciaga To Accept Crypto Payments In U.S.
- PayPal May Soon Accept All Forms Of Crypto Reveals Vice-President
- Crypto Analyst Predicts What Will Kickstart Next Bitcoin Bull Run
- Just-In: South Korea May Sue Crypto Exchanges Over Terra Crash
- Breaking: S. Korean Exchanges Redflag Litecoin Mimblewimble Update; May Delist LTC
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?