The Central Bank of Iran (CBI) plans to allow cryptocurrencies to be used for international trade in the Middle Eastern country. According to a local report, the CBI has reached an agreement with the country’s Ministry of Trade to integrate crypto payments for Iranian business.
Iran’s forex market to use crypto
According to a report by the Mehr News agency, the Iranian Ministry of Trade has reached an agreement with the Central Bank of Iran to allow cryptocurrencies to be used for international settlements. Iran’s deputy minister of Industry, Mines, and Trade and head of Iran’s Trade Promotion Organisation, Alireza Peyman-Pak, said that the agreement is expected to be implemented within the next two weeks.
We are finalizing a mechanism for operations of the system. This should provide new opportunities for importers and exporters to use cryptocurrencies in their international deals. Mehr News quoted Peyman-Pak saying.
In addition to allowing “private” owned cryptocurrencies to be used, the minister also revealed that the central bank is also working on an in-house cryptocurrency – a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC). He emphasized that crypto and blockchain technology has benefits that the country cannot ignore. This is because crypto is becoming widely accepted and is not controlled by any single entity. He pointed that Iran’s trade partners including Russia, China, India, and Southeast Asia, “using cryptocurrencies is common.”
All economic actors can use these cryptocurrencies… Since the cryptocurrency market is done on credit, our economic actors can easily use it and use it widely, Peyman-Pak said
Authorities continue to pushback Crypto-related activities, but adoption amongst Iranians surge
The government of Iran has in some ways been very accepting of cryptocurrencies. Iran legalized Bitcoin mining back in 2019. The country has also implemented a policy that allows financial institutions to use Bitcoin’s mined within the shores of the country to be used for trades.
Among the country’s citizens as well, crypto adoption has been increasing. According to a recent survey, up to 12 million Iranians hold various cryptocurrencies. Iranians turned to crypto to help it fight the heavy sanctions from the US that has affected their economy in many ways.
However, the crypto industry still faces challenges in the country. One major challenge is that there are no concrete crypto regulations in place. This has been affecting both Bitcoin miners and traders. Bitcoin mining was banned twice in 2021 to free up energy for household use. The second ban which was imposed last month will last till March this year.
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?