The Microsoft founder Bill Gates said that the key feature of cryptocurrencies i.e. anonymity is aiding in illegal means causing the death of people in a direct way. This came as a shock as back in 2014, Gates supported bitcoin that is resulting in people bombarding the internet with their reactions.
Crypto has caused deaths in a fairly direct way – Microsoft founder Bill Gates
During a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” session with the Microsoft founder Bill Gates on Tuesday, revealed that Gates is not a fan of cryptocurrencies. According to him, anonymity is one of the risks of cryptocurrency that is harmful. This feature aids those people who want to hide their financial transactions from the government.
Gates stated that:
“The main feature of crypto currencies is their anonymity. I don’t think this is a good thing. The Government’s ability to find money laundering and tax evasion and terrorist funding is a good thing.”
The philanthropist was most particularly concerned with if the blockchain revolution to a great extent is supporting terrorism, drug dealing and financial crime which according to him kills people in a direct way as evident from his statement:
“Right now crypto currencies are used for buying fentanyl and other drugs so it is a rare technology that has caused deaths in a fairly direct way. I think the speculative wave around ICOs and crypto currencies is super risky for those who go long.”
Bill Gates on Bitcoin: Bitcoin is a technological tour de force!
Well, that’s quite a U-turn that Mr. Gates has taken, given back in 2014, he has been an avid supporter of the cryptocurrency.
In an interview with Bloomberg TV, he said:
“Bitcoin is exciting because it shows how cheap it can be. Bitcoin is better than the currency in that you don’t have to be physically in the same place and, of course, for large transactions, currency can get pretty inconvenient.”
Bill Gates also mentioned in an interview in 2015 that:
“There’s a lot that Bitcoin and variants can do to make moving money between countries easier and getting fees down pretty dramatically. But Bitcoin won’t be the dominant system.”
In 2014 itself, Microsoft whose Gates is the co-founder started accepting bitcoin as payment for Windows apps and Xbox games. Though the company halted bitcoin payments twice, it resumed shortly after that still is in continuation.
“Ask Me Anything”- How cryptocurrency are “fairly” responsible for fentanyl deaths?
Bill Gates might be no longer the CEO of tech giant Microsoft but it doesn’t mean that people won’t lose their calm when the founder of the company makes such a big statement. With the change in Gates’ stance on bitcoin among other cryptocurrencies, people are reacting rambunctiously on Reddit, Twitter, and numbers of other channels.
“I find it really disheartening that someone like Bill Gates can’t even take the time to do 10 minutes of research. What he said is the equivalent of saying “The internet is evil and should be destroyed because people can buy/sell drugs and child porn on it.” back during the dot-com boom.”
What do you think of Bill Gates Cryptocurrency statement? How do you think it will affect the crypto market? Let us know below!
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?