Over 5.5 million SHIB tokens have been destroyed in the past 24 hours.
Shiba Inu (SHIB) has burned over 125 million SHIB in the last five days, reports beincrypto.com. In other words, over 125 million Shib tokens have been decimated over the previous five days. In total, 410 trillion coins have been destroyed, representing about 41% of the total supply of SHIB.
The decimation of over 5.5 million in the last 24 hours is not a new phenomenon. Tokens are regularly destroyed to reduce the number in circulation. It is a common ploy to jack up the prices. Initially, 500 trillion tokens were sent to Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin, while the other 500 trillion were locked in UniSwap.
— PanAsiaBiz – Your Daily Dose Of News (@panasiabiz) January 4, 2022
The excess token in circulation was dragging the prices of the meme-based token down. Burning does not mean any actual incineration, but it envisages sending coins to a dud wallet address to prevent them from being spent again.
Is burning enough?
According to a Yahoo Finance report, burning a considerable amount of tokens was scheduled to start in mid-December 2021. On December 26, Steven Cooper of Bigger Entertainment organized 239 million SHIB tokens were burned. As a result, the price of the meme coin surged briefly. Combined burning of tokens is beneficial since it involves fewer gas fees than individual token burning. Etherscan reported that 125 million SHIB tokens were burnt in the last five days.
However, according to Coingecko, the token prices have not increased much. Since December 8, 2021, the prices have been downward. Even after the decimation of 410 trillion coins, which represents 41% of the total supply of SHIB, the values have not increased.
The price was on a downward trend starting on December 8, 2021, at approximately $0.00003898, and at the time of writing is sitting at $0.00003407. SHIB experienced a massive surge in price in October 2021, hitting an all-time high on October 28, 2021, of $0.00008616.
Miles to go for SHIB to match DOGE
SHIB is still far behind its bigger cousin, Dogecoin, with 132 billion tokens in circulation. However, the first step towards bridging this gap was taken on August 7, 2021, when the ShibaSwap Developers announced a burn plan to reduce the $SHIB and $LEASH supply. The move was widely welcomed on social media by SHIB investors.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?