Thailand’s regulatory authority has decided to levy a 15 percent capital gains tax on all cryptocurrency profits, following the considerable growth in the size and value of the country’s digital asset market in 2021.
With this latest development, all taxpayers who benefit from cryptocurrencies, including investors and mining operators, will be liable to a 15% withholding tax, citing an anonymous source within the Finance Ministry, Bangkok Post reported. However, crypto exchanges have been exempted from the capital gains tax.
Strengthening supervision on the crypto market
The Revenue Department seeks to strengthen its supervision over the growing local cryptocurrency trading. Notably, the Thai Revenue Department can consider profits from cryptocurrency traders as taxable income under Section 40 of the Royal Decree modifying Revenue Code No.19. A capital gains tax is a tax on the profit realized on the sale of a non-inventory asset.
Although, it is not clear if the capital gains will be levied only after the digital currencies were converted to Thai baht or other stable coins as well.
Meanwhile, to avoid legal penalties as profits from trading, the ministry suggests that investors identify their crypto income while paying their taxes in 2022.
BoT against cryptocurrencies trading
In December 2021, the Bank of Thailand (BoT) had urged Thai banks to avoid direct involvement in cryptocurrency trading, citing the volatile nature of the market.
“We don’t want banks to be directly involved in digital asset trading because banks are (responsible) for customer deposits and the public, and there is a risk. If a company is a shareholder, that is another issue,” said BoT’s senior director Chayawadee Chai-Anan.
As per the report, an estimated 100,000 Thai citizens are associated with the crypto mining sector.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?