On Monday, November 15, crypto-miner Marathon Digital announced that it is willing to buy more Bitcoin and add new mining equipment to its existing fleet by selling $500 million worth of bonds.
The private offering of the five-year notes will only be only to the qualified institutional players. As said, the proceeds will go further towards buying Bitcoin and mining equipment. However, investors will have the right to convert these notes into common stock in certain circumstances and during specific periods.
Marathon Digital is not the first company selling convertible bonds. Business Intelligence firm MicroStrategy has done it many a times since mid-2020, thus linking its stock even more closely to the performance of the world’s largest cryptocurrency.
Well, if so, why did the Marathon Digital stock (NASDAQ: MARA) correct so heavily on Monday. As Marathon Digital announced its plans, it was quick to draw the SEC’s attention. Citing the company’s last year’s partnership with Montana data facility, the U.S. SEC issued a subpoena to the crypto miner.
U.S. SEC Issues Subpoena to Marathon Digital
The SEC has asked Marathon digital to produce documents and communications concerning its facility in Hardana, Montana. The SEC has been investigating whether if this poartnership and formation of this facility violated the securities laws. Chris Brendler, an analyst at DA Davidson & Co. told Bloomberg:
“It’s never good news for the SEC following up. Worst case, it’s a fine. Nothing materially changes about the business.”
The SEC scrutiny arrives one year after Marathon’s deal with Beowulf Energy for establishing the Montana facility. In its quarterly filing, Marathon said that it has been co-operating with the SEC.
The news was enough to send jitters across Wall Street. On Monday, November 15, the Marathon Digital (MARA) corrected a staggering 27% from its all-time high of $75. Despite Monday’s price crash, the MARA stock is still 400% up since the beginning of the year.
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- Crypto News: Thailand To Regulate Cryptocurrencies As Means of Payment
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might Be Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Breaking: Elon Musk Bets McDonalds to Accept Dogecoin (DOGE) As Payment
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?