According to a fresh report by Bloomberg, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has just rejected a proposal by hedge fund Skybridge Capital and investment advisory firm First Trust, to list a spot bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF).
However, the Thursday rejection does not exactly come as a surprise.
At the very least, up until now, the commission has ensured to show a preference for ETFs that rather track the bitcoin futures market, over spot Bitcoin ETFs.
The SEC Still Unsure About Spot Bitcoin ETF
Meanwhile, SEC’s rejection comes barely a month after the agency also rejected investment firm Kryptoin’s proposal to list a spot bitcoin ETF.
This was after the commission had previously turned down spot bitcoin ETF proposals from WisdomTree and VanEck as well.
Now for some reason, the delayed decision by SEC towards the proposal by First Trust and SkyBridge to list a spot Bitcoin ETF may have been giving some concerned parties hope.
Recall that the duo initially applied to list an ETF on the New York Stock Exchange in March 2021. But the SEC could not come up with a decision by July, which necessitated an extension to November. By November, there was still no decision to be made, thereby extending the decision-making a little further — till today.
In all honesty, the eventual rejection was very much expected, based on the precedent already set by the SEC to prefer ETFs that track the bitcoin futures market, instead of the asset itself.
For instance, the SEC had no problems approving Bitcoin futures ETFs, and the ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BITO) and the Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BTF) have both begun trading since October.
While a decision on Fidelity Investment’s proposal for a spot bitcoin ETF is also due today, one can almost be sure of what to expect.
- Just-In: European Central Bank Says Crypto Unsuitable As Store Of Value
- Shiba Inu The Most-Held Token By ETH Whales, Is Metaverse Hype Back?
- South Korean Terra Holders Skyrocketed After Its Crash, Here’s Why
- Verse Metaverse – LA Villa Hand Over On May 30
- Bitcoin (BTC) Faces A Crash To 2020 Lows, Here’s Why
- On-Chain Data: Bitcoin (BTC) Always Pegs Higher Trust Over Ether (ETH) in Bear Market
- Is Terra’s Singapore Office A “Paper Company?”
- Bitcoin (BTC) Options Market Hints Major Downside Risks Over Next 3-6 Months
- Bitcoin (BTC) Fails to Hold $30,000 Again, Guggenheim CIO Predicts A Crash to $8000
- Hard Fork Vs Genesis Chain: Terra Team Clears Air Around Debate
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token