Amid the rising financial crimes taking place in the United Kingdom, banks have been holding up transfers to crypto exchanges and suspending payments. A similar incident recently happened in India before RBI issued its latest clarification.
In the latest development, U.K’s major banking institutions like Barclays, Monzo, and Starling restricted its users from transferring money to crypto exchanges such as SwissBorg and Binance. Speaking to The Telegraph, a Starling Bank spokesperson said:
“This is a temporary measure that we’ve taken to protect customers. This is not just an issue for Starling but all banks. We apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused for some customers; we will be reversing this measure as we roll out additional checks specifically for payments to crypto exchanges.”
However, the bank has assured that this is a temporary measure and they shall resume the crypto transfers ahead this month June 23 onwards.
U.K Regulators Seep-In Measures to Control Crypto Scam
The U.K regulatory authorities have initiated measures to control the surge in crypto scams amid the rising market. Over the last year, U.K crypto investors have reportedly lost £60 million in social media-driven crypto scams. Earlier this year, U.K’s top-most regulator Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) warned investors about crypto scams. The regulator said:
“The FCA is aware that some firms are offering investments in crypto assets or lending or investments linked to crypto assets, that promise high returns. Investing in crypto assets, or investments and lending linked to them generally involves taking very high risks with investors’ money. If consumers invest in these types of products, they should be prepared to lose all their money.”
The FCA has also warned that a large number of firms in the crypto sector have failed to implement KYC and AML laws. To prevent its customers from falling prey to such crypto scam schemes, British bank Natwest recently started sending scam alerts for its mobile app users.
- Just-In: Grayscale Adds Five New Tokens To Its Investment Products
- Another Stablecoin Follows LUNA $UST, Crashes Within Hours
- PlanB: Bitcoin (BTC) Is Creating A Bottom For The Next Bull Market
- Shiba Inu Holders Increase Amid Market Crash, But There’s A Catch
- LUNA Crash: South Korea Toughens Up Investigations Over Terra (LUNA) Crisis
- Avalanche (AVAX) Slumps 5% In Minutes On Fears Of Terra Dump
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Reserves Decimated By Terra Crash
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Member Says Terra Reserves En Route
- Just-In: El Salvador To Discuss Bitcoin Adoption With 44 Countries
- Ethereum Founder Says A Terra Bailout Should Target These Holders
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Retest Phase Warns $0.08 Fallout
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured below $0.50; Is Selling A Good Choice?