Global X, a New York-based global provider of exchange-traded funds with $30 billion in AUM has filed for a Bitcoin ETF with the US SEC. The filing dated 21st July revealed that the name of the ETF would be Global X Bitcoin Trust and it would trade on Cboe BZX Exchange, Inc on approval.
The firm plans to hold Bitcoin in its trust to back the fund rather than using any index or benchmark to trace the price of the ETF. The official filing read,
The Global X Bitcoin Trust (the “Trust”) is an exchange-traded fund that issues common shares of beneficial interest (the “Shares”) that trade on the Cboe BZX Exchange, Inc. (the “Exchange”) under a ticker symbol to be announced prior to commencement of trading. The Trust’s investment objective is to reflect the performance of the price of bitcoin less the expenses of the Trust’s operations. The Trust will not seek to reflect the performance of any benchmark or index.
Bitcoin ETF Applications Piling Up, But SEC Continues to Delay its Decision
The number of Bitcoin ETF proposals has risen to over a dozen this year including Fidelity, WisdomTree, Wilshire Phoenix, VanEck, and First Trust SkyBridge. The SEC has delayed its decision on three ETF applications already including WisdomTree, VanEck, and Skybrdge capital. While the demand for a regulated Bitcoin product has risen to an all-time high, SEC seems to be in no hurry.
While SEC continues to delay its decision on a Bitcoin ETF, other nations have approved Bitcoin ETFs that are trading on national exchanges with great success. Purpose Bitcoin ETF currently trading on the Toronto stock exchange with nearly $900 million worth of BTC under its management. Many in the US hoped the success of the first Bitcoin ETF would influence the US regulators to take similar steps.
SEC commissioner Hester Peirce and Former CFTC chairman have both called upon SEC to approve the first Bitcoin ETF in the US. Peirce said if SEC used the same criteria as traditional ETF products for Bitcoin, it should have been passed by now.
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?