MicroStrategy, the software firm owned by Bitcoin (BTC) proponent Michael Saylor, purchased an additional 4,167 BTC on Tuesday, a recent filing showed. The firm has the largest BTC holdings among any publicly-listed company.
In a Twitter post, Saylor said the firm spent a total of $190.5 million on the tokens. An average price of $45,714 per BTC indicates that MicroStrategy has already made a profit on the purchase. BTC was last trading at around $46,610.
The acquisition brings MicroStrategy’s total BTC holdings to 129,218 tokens- valued at roughly $6 billion, based on today’s price. The figure is nearly thrice the number of tokens held by Tesla, which is the second-largest holder of the token on Wall Street, according to data from CoinGecko. The electric carmaker owns 48,000 tokens.
MicroStrategy funds BTC purchases with debt
The acquisition comes on the heels of a recent announcement from the software firm that it had borrowed about $205 million to purchase more BTC. The loan agreement was with crypto bank Silvergate Capital, and used MicroStrategy’s existing BTC holdings as collateral.
Given that the software firm said it would use part of the loan as working capital, it seems likely that the remaining $15 million from the loan was used there.
MicroStrategy is one of the earliest Wall Street firms to accumulate crypto in its balance sheet, having started the trend in 2020. Saylor is himself a vocal proponent of crypto, and has repeatedly supported the token’s potential as an inflation hedge.
BTC rally set to heat up?
BTC was on a tear through March, reaching its highest level for 2022 so far. Recent technical indicators also show that the token may be set for further gains.
A bulk of the token’s rally has been driven by large institutions accumulating BTC. Mass token buying by the Terra community has also contributed to the token’s strength.
As of April 1, the Terra community had bought 30,727 BTC to bolster their stablecoin reserves.
- Breaking: Ripple (XRP) Throws In $100 Million To Cut Down Carbon Emission
- Just In: Latest Report On Tether’s Fund Reserves
- Crypto Proponent Outlines Catalysts For Bitcoin’s Next Bull Run, Time To Buy?
- Bitcoin Price Could Hit As Low As $7,000 Before Next All Time High: Economist
- Terra’s UST Causes A 20% Dump In DeFi Token Curve (CRV), Here’s How
- Can Tron Fill The Hole In DeFi Left By Terra?
- Terra Crash Causes Ripple Effect Among Crypto Startups, Here’s How
- Bitcoin (BTC) To Slip Further Below $29K Today, Where’s The Bottom?
- LUNA, UST Volatility Spikes As Voting On Terra Fork Begins
- Panama Delays Legalizing Crypto On This Major Factor
- KuCoin Price Analysis: Low Volume Rally Hints Pullback Opportunity in KCS
- Polkadot Price Analysis: Bull Trap May Drag DOT Price To $7.3 Mark
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?